History of Bethany Baptist Church

Bethany Baptist Church had its beginning in May 1949 as an inter-denominational Sunday School in Prince of Wales Public School on Second Line West.  By November 1953, plans were under way to construct a building of our own.  The simple 36' x 30' building was finished debt-free in the fall of 1954.  The work became known as Korah Baptist Church:  a church family, and building set apart for the glory of God.  In August 1955 Korah Baptist Church called its first pastor, Pastor Don Douglas.  

While the Church was established as an inter-denominational work, in 1960, it was decided that, with a building and various services developing, that we should be affiliated with First Baptist Church to give the work more stability.  It was agreed to affiliate with First Baptist Church.  The work was now officially called Korah Baptist Church.  Therefore, we mark our beginning as a Baptist Church in 1960.

At the Annual Congregational meeting of Korah Baptist Church on February 10, 1965, it was moved that we apply for membership with the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches of Canada.  A recognition service was later held to mark this new affiliation.  On March 7, 1965, Bethany Baptist Church was announced as the new name for our church.  

In a business meeting on February 10, 1965, it was decided to add an addition to the original building.  We moved into the newly finished facility later that year with the “L” addition at the back of the building.

On May 15, 1988, the Building Committee and the Board of Management unanimously recommended that we plan to relocate with a view to provide adequate church facilities and early in 1989 a 30-acre property on the northwest corner of Second Line and Allen’s Side Road was purchased.  Later that year, an offer by an outside party to purchase part of the new property.  About 15 acres, the north half, was sold and the proceeds were a good start for the funds that would soon be needed for building construction.

Our first service in the new church building was held on March 26, 1995.

 

Bethany’s Pastors  

Donald Douglas | August 1955 – January 1964

Earl Walsh | August 1964 – March 1972

Hans Abma | March 1973 – August 1982

John Howarth | April 1983 – September 1991

John Scorgie | May 1992 – May 2005

Steve Isaac (Associate Pastor) | October 2001 – November 2002

Jason Heer (Youth Pastor) | May 2003 – September 2007

Steve Mills | July 2006 – October 2009

Dan Collins (Youth Pastor) | July 2008 – June 2012

Peter Charlebois | November 2010 – November 2016

Jared Ayton (Youth Pastor) | August 2012 – May 2016

Bob Norris (Interim Pastor) | April 2018 - present